You've heard that Earth Day is April 22nd, and maybe even that April is Earth month - but did you know today is "Stop Food Waste Day?"
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Environmental Protection Agency reports that food makes up most of the waste that goes into landfills, accounting for over 20 percent.
The FLIK Hospitality group, which provides meals to the Philadelphia Eagles, are doing their part to go green today, and want you to join them.
Chefs from the team demonstrated how to make some sustainable recipes you can make at home to reduce your amount of food waste.
Broccoli Stem Slaw
- 1 lb broccoli stem
- 1 c. sliced carrots
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. yellow mustard
- Peel the outer layer of the broccoli stem to remove the fiberous parts. Shred the broccoli stem with a food processor or box grater.
- In a bowl, combine the broccoli stem, carrots, mayonnaise, sugar, mustard, salt and vinegar. Mix until well blended.
- Serve cold.
Carrot Top Pesto
- 1 oz. fresh basil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 oz. carrot tops
- 1 oz. Italian parsley
- In a food processer, mix together the basil, lemon juice, salt, carrots tops, and parsley. Process into a finely ground consistency.
- Add olive oil and process again until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.