Gelato for breakfast? Sign us up! Renowned Pastry Chef Robert Bennett from Classic Cake in Cherry Hill stopped by to make a summertime favorite!
Chef Bennett brought along the newest member of the chocolate family: Ruby Chocolate. This rare chocolate from Barry Callebaut joins dark, milk and white chocolate. It has taken the world by storm so to try the craze we made a ruby vanilla chip gelato.
Here's what you'll need for the gelato base:
- 2 cups milk (low-fat or non-fat can be used)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup non-fat dry milk
- 8 eggs yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half
-1 tsp vanilla extract
Once you've got the ingredients, follow these steps:
1. Bring the milk, non-fat dry milk and half of the sugar to a boil.
2. Whip the remaining sugar with the egg yolks.
3. Slowly stream the hot mixture into the sugar/ yolk mixture.
4. Return over medium heat and stir constantly.
5. When the mixture thickens, immediately remove from the heat and strain into a chilled bowl.
6. Add the half-and-half and vanilla.
7. Place in a pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn.
8. Freeze and ENJOY!