PHOTOS & VIDEO: 2012 South Philadelphia String Band

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The South Philadelphia String Band was organized on May 14, 1946 in the Grays Ferry kitchen of Samuel G. Hamilton, whose founding philosophy was simple: “A good band was one that featured good people and good musicians having a good time.” Hamilton combed the streets of Grays Ferry for members, and the Band’s first appearance in the Mummers Day Parade on January 1, 1947. Parading as a mascot that first year was Samuel R. Hamilton, the son of the founder and today known as “Grays Ferry Sam”. The Band later was incorporated on June 6, 1953.

 South Philadelphia String Band Mummers Parade 2013-0899